Cardiovascular Risk Factors among Malaysian Diabetic Patients
Keywords:Keywords, Diabetes mellitus, Low density lipoprotein, Malaysians, Cardiovascular risk factors
Background: Diabetes mellitus is a significant health problem that can lead to macrovascular complications mainly cardiovascular disease which is a major cause of morbidity and mortality among diabetic patients.
Aims: The aim of this research is to study the health problems among Malaysian diabetic patients and to recognize the predictors for cardiovascular disease among those patients.
Study Design:Â cross sectional study.
Â Methods: A retrospective review analysis of the records of diabetic patients who attended the XXX in 2010 was conducted. Two hundred and forty five diabetic patientsâ€™ records were reviewed.
Results:Â Cardiovascular disease was reported in 19.6 %. Those with cardiovascular disease have a longer duration of diabetes than those without cardiovascular disease (P=0.03). Total cholesterol level was higher among diabetics with cardiovascular disease than in those without cardiovascular disease (P=0.02). High density lipoprotein cholesterol level was lower among diabetics with cardiovascular disease (P=0.01).
Conclusion: Predictors of cardiovascular disease were family history of premature cardiovascular disease, age risk, total cholesterol, low high density lipoprotein cholesterol, and duration of diabetes.
- International Diabetes Federation. IDF Diabetes Atlas fourth edition. From http://www.idf.org/diabet esatlas/. Accessed: August 2012.
-Gonzalez E, Johansson S, Wallander M, Rodriguez L. Trends in the prevalence and incidence of diabetes in the UK:1996â€“2005. J Epidemiol Community Health. 2009; 63(10): 332â€“36.
- Bener A, Zirie M, Al-Hamaq A, Musallam M. Prevalence of diagnosed and undiagnosed diabetes mellitus and its risk factors in a population-based study of Qatar. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2009; 84(1):99â€“106.
- Ministry of Health Malaysia. Public Health Institute. Report of the Second National Health and Morbidity Survey Conference Kuala Lumpur. 20-22 November 1997.
- Mafauzy M. Diabetes Mellitus in Malaysia. Med J Malaysia. 2006; 61(4):397-98.
- Williams R, Gaal LV, Lucioni C. Assessing the impact of complications on the costs of Type II diabetes. Diabetologia. 2002; 45(7): 13â€“7.
- Malaysia MoH (ed.): Number of discharges and deaths due to circulatory system by age and sex.Information and Documentation System Unit. Annual Report. 2004.
- Singh RB, Rastogi SS, Rastogi V, Niaz MA, Madhu SV, Chen M, Shoumin Z. Blood pressure trends, plasma insulin levels and risk factors in rural and urban elderly populations of north India. Coron Artery Dis. 1997; 8(7): 463-68.
- Chen Z, Peto R, Collins R, MacMahon S, Lu J, Li W. Serum cholesterol concentration and coronary heart disease in population with low cholesterol concentrations. BMJ. 1991; 303 (6797): 276-82.
- Grundy SM, Cleeman JI, Merz CN, et al . Implications of recent clinical trials for the National Cholesterol Education Program Adult Treatment Panel III guidelines. Circulation. 2004; 110(2): 227-39.
- Bosch X, Alfonso F, Bermejo J. Diabetes and Cardiovascular Disease. A Comprehensive Insight to the New Epidemic of the 21st Century. Rev Esp Cardiol. 2002; 55(5):525-7.
- Almdal T, Scharling H, Jensen JS, Vestergaard H. The independent effect of type 2 diabetes mellitus on ischaemic heart disease, stroke, and death. A population-based study of 13000 men and women with 20 years of follow-up. Arch Int Med. 2004; 164(13):1422-26.
- American Diabetes Association. Standards of medical care in diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2011; 34 (suppl 1): 11â€“61.
- World Health Organization.International Society of Hypertension Guidelines for the Management of Hypertension. Guidelines Subcommittee. J Hypertens. 1999; 17(2): 151-183.
- Scheuner MT, Whitworth WC, McGruder H, Yoon PW, Khoury MJ. Expanding the definition of a positive family history for early-onset coronary heart disease. Genet Med. 2006; 8: 491-501.
- NCEP. Executive Summary of The Third Report of The National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, And Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol In Adults (Adult Treatment Panel III). JAMA. 2001;285: 2486-97.
- Jennifer B, Philip Raskinb. Cardiovascular risk in diabetes. A brief review. Journal of Diabetes and Its Complications. 2000; 14 : 108-15
- Syed Azhar SS, Daud M. Ishaq A, Ali JM, Abdul RM, Mohamed A, Moussa A. Role of Diabetes in the Prognosis and Therapeutic Outcome of Tuberculosis. International Journal of Endocrinology. 2012; 645: 362- 6.
- Prescott A., J.E. Bailey, K.J. Kelly, T. Munyombwe, A. Gray, L.K.M.. The effectiveness and cost of single and multi-factorial cardiovascular risk factor modification to guideline targets in type 2 diabetes. Prim Care Diabetes. 2012; 6:67-73.
- Peter H. Winocour, Paul N. Durringtona, b et al. A cross-sectional evaluation of cardiovascular risk factors in coronary heart disease associated with Type 1 (insulin-dependent) diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice. 1992; 18:173-84.
- Liew YM, Zulkifli A, Tan H, Ho YN, Khoo KL. Health status of senior civil servants in Kuala Lumpur. Med J Malaysia. 1997; 52: 348-66.
- Xavier P, Emili C, Rosaura F, et al .On behalf of the ESODIAH study group . Factors Predictive of Cardiovascular Disease in Patients with Type-2 Diabetes and Hypercholesterolemia. ESODIAH Study. Rev Esp Cardiol. 2007; 60:251-58
- Alyaa A, Mohd SM, Kamarul I, Suhairi I , Bin Alwi Z, Zurkurnai Y. Lipid Profile Parameters in Malaysian Dyslipidemic Patients. Kobe J. Med. Sci 2011; 57: 38-48.
- Selvin E, Marinopoulos S, Berkenblit G et al. Meta-analysis: glycosylated hemoglobin and cardiovascular disease in diabetes mellitus. Ann Intern Med. 2004; 141:421-31.
- Austin MA, King M-C, Vranizian KM, Krauss RM. Atherogenic lipoprotein phenotype: a proposed genetic marker for coronary heart disease risk. Circulation. 1990; 82 :495-06.
- Stamler, J. H., Vaccaro, O., Neaton, J. D., & Wentworth, D. Multiple Risk Factor Intervention Trial Research Group. Diabetes screened in the Multiple Risk Factor Intervention Trial. Diabetes Care. 1993; 16 : 434- 44.
- Kahn R, Alperin P, Eddy D, et al:. Age at initiation and frequency of screening to detect type 2 diabetes: a cost-effectiveness analysis. Lancet. 2010; 375:1365â€“74.
- Fox CS, Sullivan L, D'Agostino RB Sr, et al. The significant effect of diabetes duration on coronary heart disease mortality: the Framingham Heart Study. Diabetes Care. 2004; 27:704â€“8.
- Bullano MF, Wertz DA, Yang GW, et al. Effect of rosuvastatin compared with other statins on lipid levels and National Cholesterol Education Program goal attainment for low-density lipoprotein cholesterol in a usual care setting. Pharmacotherapy. 2006; 26: 469-78.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under aÂ Creative Commons Attribution LicenseÂ that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (SeeÂ The Effect of Open AccessÂ and Benefits of Publishing Open Access).